Support American Whitewater! support unicef

[please login to make this ad block disappear]

TOPIC: Wilderness Systems Tempest 170

Wilderness Systems Tempest 170 9 years 2 months ago #35582

• AdrianTregoning
  • Thank you received: 8
I'm looking at getting a Tempest 170:
www.wildernesssystems.com/kayaks/tempest/tempest-170

I looked at the Tsunami but it seems the Tempest will handle rough conditions much better.

Two things concern me. I'm 6' tall, about 90 kg. The size seems ok, but is it? Remembering that I have to order this from the USA without ever trying it :)

Another thing is this underslung rudder. I would prefer the standard rudder configuration but the Tempest does not offer that. Does it still perform well, and how will handle fast beach landings?

I will be paddling this in the Atlantic and we have very big powerful waves, and winds often over 40 knots which is the conditions I enjoy windsurfing in. I've been kayaking whitewater 11 years now (and some surf kayaking) and consider myself a reasonably skilled paddler so the balance is not a problem for me with the narrower width that the Tempest offers.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Adrian :lol:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Wilderness Systems Tempest 170 9 years 2 months ago #35588

• AdrianTregoning
Have decided to order this boat this morning, delivery mid-March. Should be interesting, and will be posting a lot onto adrian.playak.com again :silly:

Re: Wilderness Systems Tempest 170 8 years 10 months ago #35675

• AdrianTregoning
So I got the boat, very stoked so far. Have not had time to do anything overnight or anything interesting yet, but some pics so far:

adrian.playak.com/index.php/sea-kayaking...-sea-kayakingat-last

Re: Wilderness Systems Tempest 170 8 years 2 months ago #35767

• hstreubel
  • Grom Boarder
I am interested in knowing how you found the boat. I am considering also in buying a boat and one of my options is the Wilderness Tempest 170. I am also considering the Tahe Marine Windsolo PE. If somebody has a recommendation to make, I would appreciate

Re: Wilderness Systems Tempest 170 8 years 2 months ago #35768

• AdrianTregoning
I really enjoy the boat. Paddles very well and handling is good. Super easy to roll. I find myself wondering if I shouldn't have bought the larger one, but no matter, space isn't the issue. I probably don't need it. I've not loaded up the boat for an overnighter yet, which is bad I know! Just haven't had the time last year. The retractable rudder works the charm too, helping to maintain course with a cross wind.

Late last year I got creamed in some shorebreak and I kept getting dragged up and down the beach. I was forced to get out very quick and pushed back hard on the footpegs and cracked one as I got out. But I am sure all these recreational boats are flimsy in that department. They simply aren't designed for more hectic abuse. I will build up a foam bulkhead like on my creek boat which is more foolproof. I think 95% of owners won't even venture into breaking waves. The 2nd gripe is that it spears through waves instead of the bow being lifted clear totally. But again, it wasn't designed for heading through 2 or 3 metre waves - I'm talking breaking waves not ocean swell or wind chop. All that happens is that you get a fair hit in your chest, not the end of the world either.

Wilderness Systems make quality products. I'd probably buy another one again. Well made.

Re: Wilderness Systems Tempest 170 8 years 2 months ago #35769

• AdrianTregoning

I paddled into the Knysna Heads in December on a picture perfect day. Brilliant experience. A really wild section of the coast, looking so calm here before one heads out.
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds

Surfrider Foundation
See the AUP for our Acceptable Use Policy and a Privacy Statement. Verein Playak is responsible for all editorial content on this site (including all graphics). No part of this site may be duplicated in any way without explicit permission from Verein Playak. Verein Playak takes great care to only publish original content, but since part of the content is user generated, we cannot always guarantee this 100%. If you notice any copyright violations, please let the editors know through the contact form and they will take appropriate action immediately. As a news and information platform, we republish small text snippets and thumbnail images, but always link to original content on other sites, and thus aim to adhere to a 'Fair Use' policy. If you believe we violate this policy in any particular case, please contact us directly and we'll take appropriate action immediately.