Support American Whitewater! Support American Whitewater!

[please login to make this ad block disappear]

TOPIC: Advice for boat for smaller girl.

Advice for boat for smaller girl. 15 years 7 months ago #22517

• scuba
  • Grom Boarder
Hi, I am using my husbands account to get some info. I am currently deciding on a new river runner and need advice for a 5'3, 120 lb female. I have a Necky Jive and want to go with something with less edge and more stablity in the water. I find it really easy to roll but I find setting the paddle difficult due to my arm length. I have also used the pyrnaha burn and found it great for control but had a harder time rolling because of the volume. I am an intermediate I paddler and want something that is easy to roll with good control both in whitewater and on flat water. I have narrowed my search to the Dagger mamba 7.5 and Liquid Logic remix (59 gallon). Does anyone have any advice or experience on either of these boats?
Any information would be greatly appreciated:)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Advice for boat for smaller girl. 15 years 7 months ago #22529

• mtf
  • Junior Boarder
Hey
The dagger and LL boats lead themselves more to creeking, and the necky is more of an all arounder river runner with playboat potential which makes it more edgy and seem less stable. I don't know if this helps you any but I am a female who runs rivers with some playboating so I tend to lean towards allarounders. I curently have a Jackson 2 fun and it is easy to roll and very forgiving on the water with edges, eddies, and stuff. I've also paddled the wavesport ezg 42 which is similar to the fun, but has slightly less volume. I am however a little taller than you but have seen both paddled by females of your height. So if you are into the possibility of trying an all around river runner / playboat I would definitley try to go and demo either of those.
Hope that kind of helped
good luck in your search.

Re:Advice for boat for smaller girl. 15 years 7 months ago #22558

• lilmisshappy
  • Junior Boarder
...im not as tall as you but Iv had a mamba 7.5 for over a year and find it really comfortable. no problems rolling it. Im going to be using a remix for a 2 week multiday trip soon and i think the remix is a bit more stable...only slitly...prob because the mamba has less volume at the back. At the min im using the jefe chico which is similar to the remix (and you should also check it out) ..i.e. outfitting....there back rests are super stable. Try them all for comfort..im personally more comfortable in the mamba, but find the chico more stable.....not decided on one or the other yet. Also if your having trouble with reach..i.e. arm length, i use a seat heightener, which i make myself from camping map. best way is demo them all.... hope this helps.

Re:Advice for boat for smaller girl. 15 years 7 months ago #22562

• LALAVINA
  • Grom Boarder
definitely try the Jackson 2Fun! I love it!

Re:Advice for boat for smaller girl. 15 years 7 months ago #22563

• LALAVINA
  • Grom Boarder
I'm also 5.3 and 115-120.

Re:Advice for boat for smaller girl. 15 years 7 months ago #22583

• cjcc
  • Guru Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
i used the remix 59 yesterday at the USNWC, and it is a great boat. The only problem i found was that the front bulkhead screw rubbed against my leg, but it is not much of a concern for me. Also, I am approx. 5'5", 130 lb. I was working on ferries across the area near the pumps, and it was really stable. In other words, I will probably be getting one soon. I have also looked at the diesel 65, but the thigh hooks seemed like they were not very strong. The Jackson Punk Rocker is the easiest boat to adjust that I have found, but other boats seem a bit more secure as far as the backband/bulkhead adjusting goes. The rope/cleat system seems like it would pop loose faster than a ratchet system. The best thing about the jacksons is the outfitting and the fact that there are no screws on the outside of the boat that go completely through the boat. I think that the Remix is the best, but you may want to wait for the XP9 to come out next year, since it will be easier to paddle on whitewater. I ended up just buying a Dagger Zydeco for flatwater, and am trying to sell my WW boat to get a remix 59.

Re:Advice for boat for smaller girl. 15 years 7 months ago #22653

• scuba
  • Grom Boarder
Thanks for the advice everyone!!

I demo'd the remix this week. i found it very edgy and difficult to keep a straight line. i bought a mamba and love it!
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds

Surfrider Foundation
See the AUP for our Acceptable Use Policy and a Privacy Statement. Verein Playak is responsible for all editorial content on this site (including all graphics). No part of this site may be duplicated in any way without explicit permission from Verein Playak. Verein Playak takes great care to only publish original content, but since part of the content is user generated, we cannot always guarantee this 100%. If you notice any copyright violations, please let the editors know through the contact form and they will take appropriate action immediately. As a news and information platform, we republish small text snippets and thumbnail images, but always link to original content on other sites, and thus aim to adhere to a 'Fair Use' policy. If you believe we violate this policy in any particular case, please contact us directly and we'll take appropriate action immediately.