Support American Whitewater! Support American Whitewater!

[please login to make this ad block disappear]

TOPIC: WW Kayak for women

WW Kayak for women 16 years 10 months ago #15488

• mtf
  • Junior Boarder
I am looking into buying ww kayak perhaps used, that would work for me i am a beginner and looking for something that could play and run rivers. I'm 5'8 and 130 if that helps. also if anyone knows of anything in Washington, Oregon, or Idaho.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:WW Kayak for women 16 years 10 months ago #15593

• AdrianTregoning
  • Thank you received: 8
Hi mtf,

Seeing as though there have been no responses. Let me talk a bit of nonsense again :blah: :lol:

Here are two options from Wave Sport:

playak.com/kayaks.php?id2=279&id=189

The boat on the left, Diesel 65 is a river running creek boat. It is the level just below a creek boat. You could surf and spin this boat (because of the flat hull) on a nice big wave but it wouldn't be great. It falls more towards running rivers and some average to light creeking. Good for a beginner but not very playful at all.

The boat on the right is probably more what you are looking for. The EZG50. This boat will be FAR more playful than the Diesel. It will flat spin, blunt, loop, cartwheel and still run rivers. It has some less forgiving edges than the Diesel but not as tricky as a full on play boat. There is enough length for speed, to punch holes and hold a line.

Basically you may be looking at a river running type playboat, like the EZG50. Here are two more to consider:

playak.com/kayaks.php?id2=356&id=345

Both are good. Within their roles the Spice would er more towards river running and the RX more towards playing. Both, however, will do both. You may find the Fluid a cheaper option and it is still very sweet! There are many, MANY more boats and my advice is to speak to as many people, in person, as possible. Talk to some dealers and try some out. Good luck.

Cheers
Adrian :D

Re:WW Kayak for women 16 years 10 months ago #15619

• taliesin38
  • Guru Boarder
At 130 lbs I would also try the EZG 42. It wont float you as high but it will be much more playful.

Re:WW Kayak for women 16 years 10 months ago #15625

• ScottBarnes
  • Guru Boarder
I really don't know why but I've noticed a mini trend (in the boats that I\"m selling) of longer legged women buying the DragoRossi Stinger. Most of the customers seem to be close to your size.

The other guys mentioned some good options too, so there are great choices out there for you.

Re:WW Kayak for women 16 years 10 months ago #15707

• Urge
  • Guru Boarder
:think: Could it be that your importing them Scott:roflol: :dance:

Re:WW Kayak for women 16 years 10 months ago #15732

• mtf
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks Guys that really gives me a starting point to start looking into testing the boats. I had been using the schools kayaks when i go out but the smallest boat they had were riot turbos 52 and i always moved around in the boat. Now all i have to do is find some dealers to test with in the pacific northwest .

Re:WW Kayak for women 16 years 10 months ago #15733

• taliesin38
  • Guru Boarder
Where exactly are you. I work at a dealer in Abbotsford BC which is only just over the border. We are about 2 hours from Seattle. www.westerncanoekayak.com

Re:WW Kayak for women 16 years 10 months ago #15739

• AdrianTregoning
  • Thank you received: 8
When you test a boat, make sure that you outfit it a little before you jump onto the water. A loose fitting boat, where your feet hardly touch the front, there are gaps at your hips and your thighs are not in contact with the thigh braces will result in you feeling, well, not very confident in the boat. Even a good boat will feel bad if you are not snugly fitted in the boat. ;)

Re:WW Kayak for women 16 years 10 months ago #15757

• mtf
  • Junior Boarder
I live on the oregon coast about 3 hrs from seattle and currently go to school in spokane.

and that last post i know that feeling about not fitting right when i frist went out the boat was so loose i was sliding inside it freaked me out at first but learned from it.

thanks guys again

mtf

Re:WW Kayak for women 16 years 9 months ago #16313

• Beaverman
  • Pro Boarder
Apologies if any of the following is just repeating stuff that you already know or too generic. Previous post saying to outfit it some before ever paddling on whitewater was right on. A whitewater kayak should fit like a glove - not too tight or confining that would prevent a full range of movement or egress, but the hip area should be padded up to where if you move, the boat moves. If anything goes to sleep, it's too tight, or you need support in another area. Cramping is another symptom of a poorly fitted boat.

You can add this padding with velcro making it removeable and adjustable, or glue in the pads. Pads are usually made from neoprene or minicell, but glued in closed cell foams work best in my experience. If it is a little rough on the surface, but not irritating, some folks like this as they say it helps them grip in better. My wife likes her padding smooth however, particularly for the summer when she is not wearing a wetsuit. You can find minicell on the internet from gear shops like CKS, or on eBay, or in after market fitting kits from your local outdoor sports supplier. Another supplier of padding that is often the cheapest if you are handy with hand crafting and waterproof marine contact cement is Wal-mart - those closed cell waffle foam camping pads. Contact cement can be found at a Home Depot or Lowes hardware center if Wal-mart doesn't carry it. Used to be that all kayaks had to be customized this way, but with the advent of adjustable fitting systems in kayaks, many folks have forgotten how to do this or never learned. Note - The self stick adhesives that come on some fitting kits rarely hold up long term. Plan on glueing them in permanently after you are sure of the placement. Exception to this may be the wide area seat bottom pads. I've had them in one of my boats for 8 years without having to touch it.

Something my wifes swears BY these days is a gel seat cushion. Says she wishes she had found them ages ago. She claims that most kayak seats are designed for men and most women's seat bones and spine hit differently and the seat angle wasn't designed for a woman's hips. The gel pad lifts her up a little but not too much. Those few degrees make a big difference in comfort, she says. What ever makes her happy to paddle is a winner in my book. She's been paddleing since 1972, starting out in a Hollowform and fiberglass kayaks. I'm going to try one in my kayak one of these days. Gel Pads can be glued in or strapped in. If you add this after the hip pads, you may need to readjust the hip pads to allow for the gel cushion. The one she is using came from an office supply company.

Next area to customize is the thigh braces. Smooth padding or a waffle foam usually works best here. If your boat doesn't have adjustable thigh braces you can either build them up from where they are or add large sponges underneath your knees to support your leg up into where they grab the thigh braces. Thigh brace shouldn't hit your knee or be hard. This will result in bruising and even knee problems. Best place to have contact is just behind knees on inner thighs. Using support sponges lso gives you a pair of nice large sponges to bail out leakage from your sprayskirt or to loan to someone else. Cheapest place to get the foam outside of a sewing or upholstery shop is to find a dead couch on the side of the road and take the seat cushions, cutting them to a desired size and shape. Works well for sea kayaks as well.

Back brace is usually the next area to adjust or customize. Most kayaks today come with back brace bands of some type. Some fit \"most\" folks, some are cussed. Try tightening and loosening the one your boat comes with to see its range, and where it hits you. If you don't like it, do a search for an aftermarket back band that is wider or padded differently. Most whitewater paddlers like the back band to help them lean slightly forward, which allows for a more relaxed \"aggressive\" position for setting up to screw or sweep roll, but if you use a back roll, being too tight can be a hinderance.

Last area to usually get modified or adjusted is the Foot area. Method of boot bracing varies widely by manufacturer. Some have a flat surface, some have pegs, some have an air bag. What ever type you have it should provide a cushioned surface for you to press into allowing you to lock into the boat's thigh braces, backband and hip pads. This is part of how you keep from falling out, allowing you to set up to roll. Reason for the cushioning is shock absorbtion to save your ankles and foot bones when you hit rock in the bottom of a drop, also referred to as pitoning. You can add cushioning by glueing it in, but key is to remember it should never have a potential for foot entrapment. Types of foam used is similar to other areas but can include ethafoam. Just needs to be closed cell so it doesn't absorb water and get heavier. Another trick if your legs go to sleep is to sometimes add a sponge under the back side of your leg, just behind or under your ankle. Can also keep you warmer in the winter as you have less thermal transference from the plastic being chilled by the water outside.
That does assume that it is mostly dry so keep it squeezed out. disadvantage of loose sponges is that they can be lost if you swim. Dab of dayglow paint makes them easier to find in an eddy downstream if they do comeout. DON'T tie them in with string or bungie cords as this is a bad safety hazard.

Best of luck with your outfitting and hope you find happyness with your boat.

Beaverman, aka Eric Esche, Susan's husband and sometimes safety boat
Time to create page: 0.171 seconds

Surfrider Foundation
See the AUP for our Acceptable Use Policy and a Privacy Statement. Verein Playak is responsible for all editorial content on this site (including all graphics). No part of this site may be duplicated in any way without explicit permission from Verein Playak. Verein Playak takes great care to only publish original content, but since part of the content is user generated, we cannot always guarantee this 100%. If you notice any copyright violations, please let the editors know through the contact form and they will take appropriate action immediately. As a news and information platform, we republish small text snippets and thumbnail images, but always link to original content on other sites, and thus aim to adhere to a 'Fair Use' policy. If you believe we violate this policy in any particular case, please contact us directly and we'll take appropriate action immediately.